It all started January 6, 1958 when…
68 dedicated Episcopalians met to determine the desire to establish an Episcopal Church to serve the West Side of Indianapolis. The results was a petition to Bishop Richard A. Kirchhoffer for mission status. With encouragement from Coadjutor John P. Craine, permission was granted.
Two names were considered for the new mission: Church of the Epiphany, as Epiphany was the day of the initial meeting, and St. John's, in honor of the Bishop Coadjutor. The latter was chosen.
The first service at St. John's was held on February 22, 1958, with Father Albert C. Roundtree as Priest-in-charge, and Dean Paul Moore as Acting Vicar. The first confirmation class was resented to Bishop Kirchhoffer in May 1958.
In the summer of 1998, a reunion was held to celebrate St. John's 40th Anniversary, with both past and present members attending to reminisce, pray, and thank the Lord for our church family.
2018, our 60th Anniversary, we continue to celebrate God and our gifts, engage in outreach in our communities, and we have grown stronger in faith and determination to fulfill the call God has for the ministry of St. John's Episcopal Church.